The mission of The Mitney Project is to provide preeminent, innovative educational, cultural and social enrichment activities to underprivileged youth of Georgetown, SC and their families; and to nurture and support positive economic development in their communities aimed at improving their quality of life.
The case for change in Georgetown’s West End.
Facts we are working to change:
- 1 in every 7 students drops out of high school in Georgetown
- Over 50% of West End households have one parent and survive on less than $20,000 per year
- There is no multi-arts venue or public community gathering space in Georgetown’s West End
- There are more than 140 dilapidated structures within the 350-acre West End community
Sample structures undergoing renovation by Mitney partners.
Our current and future programs.
Articles of Interest
- Learning Arts and the Brain - The Dana Foundation
- The Art of Problem Solving - The Guggenheim Museum
- Arts Education Quick Facts -Americans for the Arts
- The YouthARTS Development Project - The US Department of Justice
- "Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.